Quality Manager - Plants / Horticulture
As a retailer and grower ensure that quality is at the heart of what we do on the Nursery and is absolute priority. To ensure optimal quality plants are provided to the warehouse for delivery to customers. To ensure that inbound plant stock (bought and grown) meets the specification. To continually monitor all aspects of quality across the nursery from goods-in to second line QC. To work closely with APHA/DEFRA and other official entities to deliver compliance to required standards. To monitor supplier performance and record issues. Provide training as required to all Nursery and relevant warehouse staff.
* Take responsibility for overall quality
* Manage a team of quality staff. Take responsibility for ensuring that they and their teams receive all relevant training, job descriptions, appraisals and objectives. Ensure that Nursery team have all required safety equipment and clothing/shoes. Take responsibility for appropriate staffing needs within cost budget and manage team time/attendance and payroll.
* Work closely with Goods-in team and Stock management, Plant maintenance departmental manager, Propagation unit departmental manager and oversee QC 2nd line. Excellent levels of communication must be maintained at all times.
* Overall responsibility for Q.C. Checking of Bulbs on delivery and spot checks of stock to ensure optimal quality is maintained.
* Ensure that in-bound quality checks are made to specification and meet DEFRA and APHA requirements with regard to all relevant legislation.
* Ensure accurate plant labelling/plant passports.
* Work within defined guidelines regarding quarantine and isolation of stock where required.
* Prioritise workload management of the Quality team across the Nursery departments to ensure optimal management of tasks and that the quality team work in a co-ordinated manner with all other departments.
* Take responsibility for all aspects of health and safety. Ensure team members are vigilant to ensure all persons entering the Nursery environment are appropriately dressed and comply with the company regulations at all times. Take responsibility for maintaining a safe, secure, clean and tidy Nursery environment at all times.
* Work closely with Plant maintenance departmental manager, and Prop unit manager to take a zero tolerance approach to the management of weed and pest/disease action/spraying to maintain standards.
* Regularly monitor irrigation schedules and efficacy in conjunction with all departmental managers to safeguard plant quality. Ensure plants receive protection as required from low/high temperatures, scorching, and pest/disease.
* Work closely with and provide support where required to the Plant doctors, Plant team and customer services to manage customer feedback on quality issues.
* Provide input into the compilation of the annual nursery cost and development budgets and re-forecasts on an annual basis.
* Work effectively cross-functionally with all stake-holders, including the warehouse where required, to ensure maximum efficiency of communication regarding all areas that affect them.
* The highest levels of plant husbandry commensurate with the company quality reputation and brand together with excellent plant hygiene and weed/pest/disease control
* Minimised levels of customer complaints/refunds and returns for poor quality plants
* Efficient quality processes to specification with accurate record files updated on a timely basis to include Plant specification documents, wastage, supplier rejections and quarantine issues.
* DEFRA and APHA requirements met and records kept to demonstrate due diligence with regard to compliance with all relevant legislation.
* Strong focus on clean, tidy and well-maintained nursery
* 100% compliance with safety standards
* Effective management of the Quality team ensuring good levels of co-operation and team-work across the departments with rapid resolution of any disputes
* Improved net profitability through reduction in stock loss
If you have worked for a Retailer looking after plant quality and want to work for a company that is 80% up and plans to grow, get in touch! This role offer diversity and progression for anyone with plant knowledge and a passion for delivering quality!